May 15, 2020, by Lisa Chin

C0VID-19: Update for early career researchers (15 May 2020)

Ref. UNM/GS-ECR/C0VID-19/06/15/05/20

This is part 6 of our updates to our early career researcher (ECR) community which provides latest news and information from the Graduate School in light of the conditional movement control order nationwide and campus closure. Don’t forget you can get in touch with us via Facebook and Graduate School Blog or by email at rad@nottingham.edu.my.

Author: Dr Tissa Chandesa, Research Training Development Manager

Keep up to date

The University is regularly updating advice and general FAQs on C0VID-19 on its web page. See more

The Vice Provost (Research and Knowledge Exchange) is also contributing to a more detailed page with guidance for postgraduate research students and research staff. See more

Find your passion!

The C0VID-19 pandemic has made it difficult for everyone to stay motivated while we work from home. Dr Ivancevic shares her views on what keeps her passionate about science when academic work gets tough and while working from home. See more

Working from home tips

If you struggle with home working but are having to do it because of C0VID-19, Dr Taylor shares her ten work-life balance tips for researchers based at home during the pandemic. See more

Laboratories are closed – what do I do next?

With many laboratories still closed as a result of the C0VID-19 pandemic, Dr Lei shares his advice on how he planned to stay productive while his lab was closed due to the pandemic. See more

Supervising Doctoral Studies (SDS) online course

With face-to-face classroom discussions prohibited during the C0VID-19 pandemic, the University of Nottingham offers a set of self-directed online modules for new supervisors and those who have more experience. The online course has interactive content such as videos, quizzes and a personal portfolio. Kindly use your university credentials to join the course. You may access the online course via the following link.

Wellbeing support

We understand that this unprecedented situation can be very stressful and difficult to some of you. Please rest assured that wellbeing support is available to you.

Appointments can be made to talk to a counsellor/mental health advisor/disability officer via email WellbeingandLearning@nottingham.edu.my or call the emergency number for this support +60 19 2660691 (Vasu).

Engaging via Microsoft Teams

We are happy to act as the mediator for any senior researchers to engage with early career researchers on issues pertaining to research sustainability during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Issues may include (but not limited toa chat about how you are currently coping with your research; how are you conducting your research when everything is shut down or unavailable; potential collaborations; a chat about future grant applications.

If you are interested, please get in touch with us via email to RAD@nottingham.edu.my.

Posted in News and EventsPostgraduate lifeResearcher Development