May 22, 2020, by Lisa Chin

C0VID-19: Update for early career researchers (22 May 2020)

Ref. UNM/GS-ECR/C0VID-19/07/22/05/20

This is part 7 of our updates to our early career researcher (ECR) community which provides latest news and information from the Graduate School in light of the conditional movement control order nationwide and campus closure. Don’t forget you can get in touch with us via Facebook and Graduate School Blog or by email at rad@nottingham.edu.my.

Author: Dr Tissa Chandesa, Research Training Development Manager

Keep up to date

The University is regularly updating advice and general FAQs on C0VID-19 on its web page. See more

The Vice Provost (Research and Knowledge Exchange) is also contributing to a more detailed page with guidance for postgraduate research students and research staff. See more

Virtual town hall meetings for researchers

Professor Deborah Hall, Vice Provost (Research & Knowledge Exchange) is inviting colleagues to join her at a series of virtual town halls. With a panel of colleagues from across the University, Professor Hall invites you to share experiences and thoughts on how we can prepare together for the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead. From returning to on-campus working, to considering what the ‘new normal’ for research may look like in a post-C0VID-19 world.

The town halls will take place via Microsoft Teams on:

Tuesday 2 June 2020, 2pm – 3pm
This first session is aimed at postgraduate research students and their supervisors

Sign up for session 1
Submit a question in advance for session 1 by Friday 29 May 2020

Wednesday 3 June 2020, 2pm – 3pm
This second session is aimed at the wider research community

Sign up for session 2
Submit a question in advance for session 2 by Friday 29 May 2020

Details about how to join these meetings are available on the sign up page. You have the opportunity to submit a question in advance, and there will the opportunity to ask questions during the session.

Mental health and wellbeing

If you are feeling overwhelmed by the MCO and the need to suddenly adopt e-learning, Dr Dickerson share seven tips to manage your mental health and well-being during the C0VID-19 pandemic. Read more

Virtual conferences

The C0VID-19 pandemic has provided an opportunity for the scientific community to rethink on how to conduct scientific conferences best. If online meeting become the norm, how can you, the researcher makes the most of them? Mr Woolston explores learning to love virtual conferences in the C0VID-19 era. Read more

Communicating your research

Communication remains a vital art for researchers to disseminate their research work to a wider audience. Three researchers share top tips for giving an engaging talk as well as share lessons they’ve learnt from presenting at TED conference. Read more

Supervising Doctoral Studies (SDS) online course

With face-to-face classroom discussions prohibited during the C0VID-19 pandemic, the University of Nottingham offers a set of self-directed online modules for new supervisors and those who have more experience. The online course has interactive content such as videos, quizzes and a personal portfolio. Kindly use your university credentials to join the course. You may access the online course via the following link.

Wellbeing support

We understand that this unprecedented situation can be very stressful and difficult to some of you. Please rest assured that wellbeing support is available to you.

Appointments can be made to talk to a counsellor/mental health advisor/disability officer via email WellbeingandLearning@nottingham.edu.my or call the emergency number for this support +60 19 2660691 (Vasu).

Engaging via Microsoft Teams

We are happy to act as the mediator for any senior researchers to engage with early career researchers on issues pertaining to research sustainability during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Issues may include (but not limited toa chat about how you are currently coping with your research; how are you conducting your research when everything is shut down or unavailable; potential collaborations; a chat about future grant applications.

If you are interested, please get in touch with us via email to RAD@nottingham.edu.my.

Raya greetings

In advance, we at the Graduate School would like to take this opportunity to wish all Muslims Eid Mubarak and Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri, Maaf Zahir dan Batin.

Posted in News and EventsPostgraduate lifeResearcher Development