July 30, 2018, by Lisa Chin

Postgraduate Prize Awards Presentation 2018

The University of Nottingham Postgraduate Prize Awards recognise accomplishments in research, publications, conferences and contribution to the postgraduate community. Students were nominated by their Schools for excellence across a number of areas.

On 27 July 2018, prize winners and their guests were invited to an awards ceremony hosted by the Graduate School. Professor Deborah Hall, Vice-Provost of Research and Knowledge Exchange, presented the awards to the prize winners while their Faculty Associate Deans of Research and/or supervisors cheered them on. A total of three students were awarded the Postgraduate Prize Awards and they are listed below:

• Tham Shiau Ying, School of Biosciences, Faculty of Science
  • Jecksin Ooi, Department of Chemical & Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering
  • Lee Shi Ting, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science

[From left] Professor Sandy Loh Hwei San, Professor Deborah Hall and Tham Shiau Ying.

Shiau Ying is a quick learner and possesses good research qualities including interest, motivation, inquisitiveness, commitment, knowledge and integration which in turn resulting her fabulous successes in bagging 7 research awards, especially the highly competitive and prestigious Toray grant and European Association for Cancer Research (EACR) award. She is indeed a shining star, her PhD journey would definitely inspire many young researchers in Science discipline.” – Professor Sandy Loh Hwei San

[From left] Dr Nishanth Chemmangattuvalappil, Professor Deborah Hall and Jecksin Ooi.

Jecksin has made significant contributions to the field of Process Systems Engineering by publishing 3 journal papers in world class journals, contributing to book chapters and also be presenting her work in international conferences. She also served the postgraduate student community by volunteering to organise multiple conferences and workshops in Malaysia.” – Dr Nishanth Chemmangattuvalappil

[From left] Professor Nashiru Billa, Professor Deborah Hall, Lee Shi Ting and Dr Lim Kuan Hon.

Shi Ting is a mature and independent student. As the first postgraduate in my group, she actively helped in administrative work and played the role as mentor/task supervisor for other postgraduates and final year project students. Shi Ting has made impressive achievement consistently and is expected to have at least 3 indexed publications during her PhD candidature (with 2 have already been published).” – Dr New Siu Yee

The Graduate School would like to once again congratulate all the winners on their achievements and for receiving such prestigious awards!

For more information, please email us at graduateschool@nottingham.edu.my.

Posted in News and EventsPostgraduate lifeResearcher Development