July 3, 2020, by Lisa Chin

C0VID-19: Update for early career researchers (3 July 2020)

Ref. UNM/GS-ECR/C0VID-19/09/03/07/20

Author: Dr Tissa Chandesa, Research Training Development Manager

This is our monthly updates to our early career researcher (ECR) community which provides latest news and information from the Graduate School.

Don’t forget you can get in touch with us via Facebook or by email at rad@nottingham.edu.my.

Upcoming training courses

We at the Graduate School continue to deliver the highest quality training and development for our ECR community during the C0VID-19 pandemic. We would like to give an update on upcoming training and support provision.

Supervisory Research Seminar Series

Examining a doctorate 

• Wednesday 15 July 2020, 10am – 12noon

• This workshop will consider the purposes of the viva voce examination used for UK and Nottingham doctorates and help supervisors identify how they can best prepare their students for this examination.

• Sign up

Managing research students’ progression

• Wednesday 22 July 2020, 2pm – 4pm

• This workshop will provide information on key stages of the annual review process and roles of relevant parties in ensuring satisfactory progression of research students.

• Sign up

Contemporary issues in supervising research students

• Wednesday 29 July 2020, 2pm – 4pm

• This workshop will discuss and identify the characteristics of an effective supervisor over the early, mid and closing stages of a research degree.

• Sign up

Keep up to date

The University is regularly updating advice and general FAQs on COVID-19 on its web page. See more

The Vice Provost (Research and Knowledge Exchange) is also contributing to a more detailed page with guidance for postgraduate research students and research staff. See more

Examining a doctorate online

In response to the C0VID-19 pandemic, a webinar on examining a doctorate online was held on Wednesday 10 June 2020. The session was chaired by Professor Deborah Hall, Vice Provost (Research & Knowledge Exchange) and involved a panel consisting of those who have experiences in examining doctoral theses in an online environment, namely: Dr Hazel Melanie Ramos, Associate Dean of Teaching & Learning for the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences; Dr Kasturi Muthoosamy, Associate Professor at the Department of Foundation in Engineering; and Dr Risky Harisa Haslan, Assistant Professor at the Division of Organisational & Applied Psychology. See more

U21 Researcher Resilience Fund

This fund aims to support collaborative projects that develop researchers’ capability and capacity to work digitally or virtually, in order to adapt to life as a researcher, post C0VID-19. A team of ECRs from the Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, consisting of Dr Ianatol Khairoh, Dr Vasanthi Sethu, Dr Anurita Selvarajoo and Dr Phei Li Lau, has successfully made a submission for the U21 Researcher Resilience Fund. We wish them all the best!

UNM 2020 Virtual 3MT®

On Wednesday 24 June 2020, we crowned our 2020 Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) winner – Swaraj Sunilkumar Dube from the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. In the coming months, Swaraj will represent UNM at the Tri Campus round where he will go up against the winners from the UK and China campus, respectively. We wish him the best of luck! See more

New Code of Research Conduct and Ethics released

In late June 2020, the University released a new version of Code of Research Conduct and Research Ethics that applies to all research staff and students across our UK, China and Malaysia campuses. The Code of Research Conduct and Research Ethics provides a comprehensive framework for good research conduct and the governance of all research carried out across the University. You may view the new Code here.

Supervising Doctoral Studies (SDS) online course

With face-to-face classroom discussions prohibited during the C0VID-19 pandemic, the University of Nottingham offers a set of self-directed online modules for new supervisors and those who have more experience. The online course has interactive content such as videos, quizzes and a personal portfolio. Kindly use your university credentials to join the course. You may access the online course via the following link.

Engaging via Microsoft Teams

We are happy to act as the mediator for any senior researchers to engage with ECRs on issues pertaining to research sustainability. Issues may include (but not limited to) a chat about how you are currently coping with your research; how are you conducting your research when everything is shut down or unavailable; potential collaborations;and future grant applications.

If you are interested, please get in touch with us via email to RAD@nottingham.edu.my.

Next updates from us

Our next ECR update will be posted in early August 2020.

In the meantime, please continue to observe and follow the safety advice and precautionary measures by our local authorities and University.

Posted in News and EventsResearcher Development